MAYLANDS PATIENT GROUP
MAYLANDS HEALTHCARE - FORMATION OF A PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP
This leaflet is to inform you that as from March 2011 Maylands has established a Patient Participation Group (PPG) to be a forum to discuss topics that benefit the practice and patients and take issues forward to more practical applications
WHAT IS A PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP?
The idea is to work with the Medical, Nursing and other support staff within the practice to provide practical support and to help patients to take more responsibility for their own health
The PPG will seek to improve communications through its own newsletters and through the practice website along with the use of notice boards and direct communications within the Surgery
MORE ABOUT WHAT A PPG CAN TRY TO DO
· Communicate to patients how recent changes to NHS will affect services provided
· Letting the practice staff know more about the level and standard of service they provide from a patient perspective
· Helping the practice decide on overall service priorities
· Helping patients understand more about their medical condition/problems including talks on individual topics, eg Diabetes and Heart Disease
· Information on help available and support groups and networks
· Improving the experience of attending the Surgery
· Understanding from you the patient, your suggestions for improving the service you get
WHO WILL BE ON THE PPG?
Initially there is representation from the GP’s, Practice Manager and reception staff plus 5 or more patients drawn from across the practice
This is flexible and can be adapted as the group gets more established and needs emerge
WHAT THE PPG IS NOT ABOUT
We will not deal with individual patient complaints, there is already a well established procedure to deal with these
We will not tell the professionals how to run their clinical services
HOW DO PATIENTS COMMUNICATE WITH THE PRG?
You can write to our Chairman care of the practice address
You can talk to us when any of the members of the PRG are in the surgery whilst you are there
HOW WILL I GET THE NEWSLETTER?
· Copies will be available at the surgery
· Copies will be attached to repeat prescription
· Available on the practice website
SO IT’S BACK TO YOU
The PRG will only work well if patients communicate with us.
We already have ideas but we need your input